Vote for Steve Leary on March 10.
Cynthia Mackinnon based her campaign on the false premise that “Our city is headed in the wrong direction.” Every piece of evidence I find after years of service on city boards supports the opposite conclusion.
I find it very disappointing that Mackinnon chose to campaign on completely false narratives, narratives that mislead the people of Winter Park. Also, Mackinnon’s decision to pursue the politics of personal destruction with her negative mailers damages our city. The person we want as Mayor of Winter Park needs to be a positive and forthright advocate of the varied interests of our citizenry, someone more interested in a vital and viable future for our city than in empty critiques of the past.
Based on my knowledge Steve Leary should be Mayor of Winter Park. Leary’s narrative is supported by the facts, his policy contributions have substance, and he has proven he gets results in his four years serving as our Commissioner and Vice Mayor.
- Leary is the only candidate with proven experience overseeing our $150 million annual city-wide budget.
- Leary has consistently voted to keep our property tax rate from increasing (see page 6).
- Leary supports building our cash reserves to 30% of general fund expenses, saving money for an uncertain future and protecting our service levels while balancing the city budget (see page 338).
- Leary secured $400,000 in State funding to improve Mead Gardens.
- Leary consistently supports both our city-wide electric under-grounding program and the street tree management program (he helped bring about), demonstrating a clear vision of how these two program will vastly improve our street tree canopy and the overall character of Winter Park well into the future.
- Leary was instrumental in initiating $12 million in State funding to underground electric lines on Fairbanks between I4 and 17-92. The process of finalizing this opportunity is underway with contract negotiations between Duke Energy, FDOT, and the city.
- Leary led the effort to revitalize the Cady Way pool complex, recently voted the best public pool in Orlando Weekly’s “Best of Orlando” poll.
- Leary has consistently supported sidewalk dining.
- Leary led the effort that stopped the 500% pay increase for commission members (see page 5).
- Leary led the effort that overturned dog park fees at Lake Baldwin Park (see page 5).
- With Leary’s support the city has been successful in securing a $1,137,500 grant to begin construction of “quiet zones” at 12 major intersections in Winter Park. These improvements are expected to dramatically reduce horn noise from Sunrail and other trains going through Winter Park.
While Mackinnon offers us false narratives, negative messaging, and no helpful policy commitments; Leary offers us a proven leader of substance, a positive professional who respects and acts on the facts, who is forth right with the citizenry, and who has made sound concrete policy decisions significantly benefiting our city.
The contrast could not be clearer. Steve Leary has earned our vote for Mayor on March 10th.
Regards, Pete Weldon